Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Friends- What if they die?

     In the book "Winter Girls", by Laurie Halse Anderson Lia's best friend dies so Lia starts to hurts herself. She starts this off by first not eating She believes she is so strong she can over pass anything, but can she? We are strong, but we all have a weak point. I think that Lia is behaving like this because even though she still can't accept the fact that Cassie, her best friend, died so she acts as if she can overcome everything.  We all are strong, but we aren't permanently strong.


      In the book, Lia starts to become "strong" by first not eating. She is becoming anorexic. When Lia does this, she always remember the words "...body found in a motel room, alone...". I think these words really impacted her because she starts to hurt herself just like her friend. I think that Lia would do anything for her friend Cassie. For some reason I feel that Lia is going to try to kill fer self in a room alone. It seemed like it, but I am not so sure. Earlier in the book, it says that Cassie ditchedLia when she was almost dying. I think that for that reason Lia is trying to stay strong. It syas that her brain is controllinh her, but I think that it is herself doing the damage. Instead of healing, she is falling apart.
     I realized that we would anything for a person that we loved. I think that we should care for the people we loved, but is it worth killing yourself for someone that you know won't come back? I think that people should try to accept the fact that the person they cared for died and that they need to move on. Many people now a days think that hurting themselves is the right thnig, but it isn't. I feel that you shold see if you are okayand then care for the others. It does sound kind of selfish, but you sometimes need to think in your self rather than others when they leave you, even when you are on the verge of dying.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your theory, Shaina, especially since I have seen what people can and do when someone they love is gone. Moving on, but remembering the loved one is the best way to cope with a loss or losses. Sometimes frienship is also found with animals as well. Man and animal are different, yes, but the friendship between the two can grow and if either is gone, the pain felt is the same as if you lost a sibling or family member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when people see loved ones die, they just don't see the importance of their own lives. It kind of reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. They kill themselves because they believe the other is dead and their lives lose purpose because they feel those loved ones give them purpose. I always thought the idea of "true love" was a bit tragic and crazy all because people take their own lives because the person they love does not belong in the same world as them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHELSEA
    I think your right when a person dies people believe they can't live with out them. In this book Lia is trying to say she really doesn't care about Cassie's death. when she really does. I read this book and Cassie and Lia were like sisters. And the only way Lia can get over the death of Cassie is by hurting her self. So she deal with the physical pain than the emotional one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shaina , I agree with a lot of things you put into this thoughtful post . I really think you have strong ideas in your post and you have a really good way of showing them to us . I like how you got text evidence and relate back to others.

    ReplyDelete